Whether you have crystals for healing or just as ornaments for your home it is important to cleanse them from time to time, even if it is just to remove the dust. If you are more spiritually minded, you will know that the crystals are special and capable of projecting or absorbing energy, and unless properly cared for they can become dull and tired. Also when you first get your crystals it is important to cleanse them as they may have been on quite a journey, through many unknown hands before they come to you. If you use your crystals for healing or spell/dream weaving you should cleanse them before and after you work with them. So here are some tips on how to care for your mineral friends.
The simplest way to cleanse your crystals is to put them under the tap leaving it on for a few moments and imagining any impurities running down the drain.
Some people advise using salt water, or plunging the crystal into pure salt however I disagree, it will leave a nasty residue on the stones and can actually damage certain crystals, for example opals. If you have a rough crystal, say a large unpolished Citrine or Rose Quartz, or a bed of crystals such as Amethyst that has become particulary grubby, you can use a little gentle soap such as Ecover washing-up liquid and a soft brush to gently clean the crystal before rinsing it well under running water.
The vast majority of crystals can be cleansed this way, however some softer crystals such as Selenite or Celestite can dissolve in water. So some other ways to cleanse crystals are;
* to smudge them, which means to pass the crystal through the smoke of a sage smudge stick, like the one pictured below.
* to surround the crystal with several Quartz points, with the points pointing away from the crystal you are cleansing and leave like this for 24-48 hrs.
* to wrap the crystal in a soft cloth and bury it in the ground, this is like sending the crystal back to the womb of the Earth where it originally came from, to rest in darkness. This method is made even more powerful if done on a New Moon.
Once your crystal has been cleansed, you can charge/energise it by the following methods;
* Placing it in the sunlight to dry off and recharge for 24-48hrs. Please note it is best not to leave colourful crystals in the sun for a long time, say on a sunny window ledge, as they can become faded and bleached through continuous exposure to sunlight.
* you can also leave it out on a Full Moon to bathe in soft moonlight, a personal favourite of mine. If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter I always remind you of when the Full Moon is :)
* you can also place them gently on a bed of Amethyst or surround them with Quartz points as described when cleansing, but this time make sure the points are pointing towards the crystal, and if possible leave in the sun/moonlight once again for around 24-48 hrs.
If you have a particular crystal and you are not sure about, whether it can tolerate water, sun etc., please feel free to ask and I will advise you as best I can on how to care for your crystal. Or if you know of other ways to cleanse and charge crystals, please share :)
Health and Happiness - QQ
(If any of the images in this blog belong to you and you object to them being used, please contact me and they will be removed immediately.)